Saturday, July 21, 2007

Doh! The Simpsons movie spurs toy sales

When I began working in Kona right out of college back in 1990, the solitude of a small newspaper in a rural place finally gripped me.

It was especially gripping because I worked nights as a sports editor, working with just one other staffer on the editorial side. He was my boss, essentially, and he made sure that the TV was always tuned in to CNN Headline News. Occasionally, he'd flip stations for Monday Night Football or some other somewhat news-related story.

By no coincidence, 1990 was the year when my habit of watching The Simpsons came to an end. I wasn't in the habit of recording the show at home, and no matter how much I begged, my boss never went for it. Little did either of us know that the TV show would still be running strong 17 years later.

That's a run that compares favorably with any series in TV history. And with the release of The Simpsons movie on Friday, this is a good time to start checking on the brand's toys, both movie- and TV-related.

The Simpsons Movie Action Figure Set, Amazon.com

$95.99

The Simpsons Movie Homer Movie Mayhem Figure, Amazon.com

$15.99

The Simpsons Movie Mayhem Lisa and Maggie, Amazon.com

$16.99

The Simpsons Movie Marge Movie Mayhem Figure, Amazon.com

$19.99

The Simpsons Movie Bart Movie Mayhem Figure, Amazon.com

$14.99

The Simpsons Movie Homer and Plopper "Who's a Good Piggy", Amazon.com

$15.99

Simpsons Nuclear Power Plant, bendable set, Amazon.com

$18.89

No comments: