Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Silver Surfer collectible

Growing up on Marvel Comics -- I'd spend a chunk of my hard-earned newspaper route money on them -- was a great thing in the 1970s. Stan Lee knew how to push our buttons, at least with Spiderman. A human superhero.

And then there was Silver Surfer, who gave up his own future to spare his home planet destruction at the hands of Galactus. Though I think the recent Fantastic Four movie did us Marvel fans a disservice by reducing Galactus to some milkish form in the skies, I did like the way Silver Surfer was drawn and portrayed. Truly a hero, and though I didn't think about it as a kid, he is definitely a Christ-like figure.

At Superherotimes.com, a limited edition of 1,000 action figures are on sale (painted). The chrome version of Silver Surfer will have a 2,500 pieces. Going rate is $160 to $180. I won't be buying, not at these prices, but it's cool to see nonetheless.

Silver Surfer (chrome) $180
Superherotimes.com

No comments: