Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Robocon

No, not every toy I seek has something to do with today's culture. I'll dig into the past sometimes. This is one of those times.

Robocon was an unforgettable, yet very minor part of the J-Robot revolution in TV watching during Hawaii's KIKU explosion of the 1970s. Robocon was no super android. He was just a creation that served people, or attempted to. At the end of each episode, his 'creater' gave him a final score for his efforts. Instead of a top score of 100, Robocon almost always scored a 0. Or negative number. It was destiny. He was constantly wrecking cars, houses and anything of material value, all out of clumsiness. It was funny, annoying and one of a kind.

Robocon was anti-cool. But Robocon appealed to the little kids because he was basically a little kid in a giant robot's body.

Robot Japan has some cool pics (below) of Robocon toys that are available today, 30 years later. I can't say I'm interested in buying the stuff, but it sure is fun to see after all these years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Home Broker, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://home-broker-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.